Panagia Tourliani MonasteryBACK TO NEWS
This gorgeous monastery of Panagia Tourliani is the most significant landmark in the area of Ano Mera. It is only .8km east of the Chora and easily accessible. The monastery was founded in 1542 by Monks belonging to the Katapoliani Monastery of Paros Island. It was restored in 1767, where its impressive architecture took form. There is a small museum which operates inside the grounds.
The monastery is named after the dome or ‘tourlos’ in Mykonian dialect, of the church and is also the name of a sacred icon of the Virgin Mary. Panagia Tourliani is known as the Patron Saint of the island and is celebrated as such every August 15th.